Friday, January 28, 2011

High Street Haul: UK fashion finds

The average American woman is a size 16, but somehow in a bizarre self-loathing retail society the average store only carries up to a size 12 and our fit models are smaller than ever here. England on the other hand understands that fashion is for all women. More high street stores and couture shops carry larger sizes than any place in the States. This is why I always prepare myself to spend a lot of time shopping when I am overseas. 
First stop is always Monsoon. As you may have realized from this blog, I have a bit of an obsession with dresses. It's an instant outfit, sexy, slimming and can be professional or fun. Monsoon always has a terrific selection of dresses and separates that are trendy and unique from size 2 to 22 (UK22=US 18/20) 
I bought a few "Mad Men" inspired shift dresses since they fit so sexily and not boxy. Here is one of the more glam shifts I got for roughly $90.  I also got a red gown for only £20 on sale with grey beaded necklace piece that drapes like a dream. Now all I need is an occasion for this. The dress below is amazingly Blondie-esque and has a lot more use in my daily life. 

Now on to Evans. UK's answer to Lane Bryant but much, much cuter! Though I loved a lot of the muted modern tones and military inspired items, I opted just to spend cash on something more rare. Sexy shapewear! Functional and flirty together at last! After which I went to New Look for cheap and trendy sweaters, Harvey Nichols, Harrods and Karen Millen for some upscale looks and Primark for as many pairs of lace tights as I could get my hands on.
 I love London!! 

But I also love Leeds! My friend was taking me around the beautiful arcade shopping district in leeds when I stumbled across Rose & Co. with cute bath items on the first floor and retro pin-up clothing in the basement. With great looks from Stop Staring and Bettie Page Clothing. Sadly I didn't have enough room in my suitcase for crenoline skirts and circle dresses but I did get one cute dress. 

I will be back for the summer sales and at this rate I will need a bigger closet. I just can't help myself!!

No comments:

Post a Comment